Senior Project Manager- Academic Market Sector – Philadelphia, PA
At the firm, they take pride in designing elegant places that contribute to the intellectual enrichment, research discovery, and medical advancements that drive their economies. They have operated out of one office in Philadelphia since 1878 and owe their longevity to dedicated management, their adaptability for changing marketplaces, and their ability to provide their clients with buildings that perform well and add value to their mission and/or business.
They pursue design excellence through collaborative client interaction. They work with forward-thinking academic institutions such as the University of Pennsylvania and Swarthmore College; leading edge hospitals like New York-Presbyterian, NYU Langone, and Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia; and Fortune 500 companies like Merck & Co., Inc. and Boeing. Their work is recognized with national design awards, and they present their design thought leadership in publications and alongside clients at industry events.
The firm’s integrated AE culture fosters the early and in-depth exploration of all building systems and their performance. Having outstanding structural and MEP engineering under one roof with architecture leads not only to good coordination but smart, cost-effective optimization of design as well.
Their success is achieved by co-locating all of the requisite expertise necessary to offer sole source responsibility for a coordinated design package, ensuring smooth delivery and high-quality service. This model of practice – combining multiple disciplines and expertise at a single location – is almost unique to the firm and they believe it offers both highest design quality and highest value.
About the role:
The project management role at the firm offers the successful candidate an opportunity to significantly influence the trajectory of the firm and their own career. The firm offers a strong platform that provides a deep portfolio of award winning projects and a passionate staff fully committed to uncompromising client service. This position works directly with the firm’s Principals, in all aspects of the project process. This is a highly visible role offering outstanding prospects for client and team leadership, innovative design and project delivery, and close collaboration with project team members from the architectural, interiors and engineering disciplines.
- Collaborates with Principal/Practice Group Leader in the marketing of projects including development of proposals and participation in client interviews.
- Collaborates with Principal/Practice Group Leader in evaluation of project requirements and helps to negotiate owner-architect agreements including the project fee and schedule.
- Demonstrates fluency with higher education’s issues and terminology as it relates to services, departments and building types.
- Provides day-to-day leadership and mentorship in collaboration with the senior project leadership team.
- Keeping lines of communication open with the client and all office management leaders.
- Demonstrates task-focused mastery of project scope, schedule, profitability, and budget. Completes projects on schedule, within budget and with maximum client satisfaction.
- Negotiates critical issues with peer architects, engineers and officials of client organizations, consultant and partner firms, and authorities having jurisdiction.
- Develops discipline cost and budgets for each project and monitors project costs, completion status against project budget and schedules.
- Utilizes their past experience and technical knowledge to monitor the progress and quality of the construction documents relative to schedules/budgets and provides coaching/communication as appropriate with team leaders and/or team members who are responsible for work flow/timelines, etc.
- Oversees all pertinent project correspondence and documents, making sure they are accurate, signs or obtains signatures and seeks legal counsel as appropriate.
- Coordinates review and evaluation of contractor bids and works with Principal to submit an award recommendation to the owner.
- Assists with preparation of monthly client billings; reviews and approves all consultant billings.
- Contributes to the success of the project and the firm by utilizing past knowledge and experience and teaching or sharing knowledge with other project team members and the firm in general.
- Candidates must be a registered architect.
- Candidates must possess a minimum of 8 years of project management experience with college and university projects. Their portfolio should include complex projects with science and technology components.
- Candidates must have a demonstrated success in all phases of major new construction, renovation and interior fit-out projects.
- Candidates must have project architect, project management, client management and external marketing skill sets.
- The most qualified candidates will have exceptional leadership and interpersonal skills, combined with excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, as well as public speaking experience.
- Candidates should have experience with Deltek Vision or similar project management software.