Vice President of Business Development & Communications – Atlanta, GA
The firm is an internationally recognized architecture and engineering firm with offices in Atlanta and Shanghai. Established in 1953, they have designed significant projects, including urban mixed-use complexes, hotels, office buildings and residential facilities, around the world for more than 60 years. They provide design services in architecture, master planning and structural engineering. The firm’s professionals are a diverse group of talented individuals, each chosen for his or her creativity, expertise and commitment to the highest standards of quality in design and service.
The firm is renowned for innovative, responsive design solutions that are sensitive to the local culture and the context in which they exist. Their architecture transcends national borders by striving for universal human appeal. Human beings are creatures of nature, perceiving their environment through the senses. Recognizing human values and the human response to space, nature, and light, they aim to weave sensory experiences into the built environment. They work to understand humanity better in order to create an environment that is more beneficial to people – culturally sensitive places that are designed for life – livable, stimulating and sustainable.
About the role:
The firm’s success and reputation as a world-renowned firm, as well as their desire to expand their presence domestically has prompted the need for this critical role. They seek a strong entrepreneurial leader with experience directing business development/marketing and communications programs in the AEC industry. Reporting to Principal/Vice President of Design, this role is an essential part of the executive leadership team as this person would be charged with leading strategic growth and market expansion.
The successful candidate will be provided a significant opportunity to positively influence the destiny of the firm and their career. He/she will be given a solid platform that provides a vibrant portfolio of award winning projects and both the people and financial resources to succeed.
Summary of Role:
- Bring in new design projects to the office from the hospitality, mixed use, multi-family residential and higher education sectors
- Partner with the Principals to establish the overall firm business development strategy/vision, set goals and direction, define targets and spearhead the revenue generation.
- Develop annual business development/marketing budget and plan.
- Continuously cultivate and maintain positive relationships with sources for lead generation
- Conduct market research to include industry trends, background on potential clients and monitor the competitive marketplace staying abreast of industry changes and trends
- Maintain active participation in relevant professional organizations to promote and represent the Firm at key industry events, conferences, market specific meetings, etc.
- Identify and respond to RFQ’s, RFP’s and other leads on targeted projects
- Liaise with other firms/consultants regarding team partnering opportunities
- Devise strategies that will lead to successful marketing efforts and help to define criteria for “go/no-go” decisions; review proposals, brochures and related communication pieces
- Work with Principals when requested on interview content and related strategies; may also be available to observe and critique presentation/content/format
- Provide leadership to the Marketing Manager and Marketing Coordinator leveraging those resources while staying focused on business development.
- Implement a PR/communications program that supports the Firm’s brand, image and strategic goals; this will likely include: press releases, publications and article placement, design competitions and awards, speaking engagements and support of key community and professional organizations
- Gather market/competitor intelligence that translates into effective positioning of the Firm
- Empower and work well with others while promoting a business development-oriented mindset amongst the design and technical staff.
- An entrepreneurial spirit who is adept and possesses “worldly” knowledge and keen passion for architecture design.
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in Business Communications, Architecture or related
- Minimum 10+ years of experience directing business development/marketing and communications programs in the A/E/C industry; solid understanding of the hotel market as primary experience.
- An existing network of potential clients in at least the following sectors: Hospitality, Mixed-Use, Multi-family, Commercial and Education
- Proven success in networking, business development, and cold-calling to develop new markets/clients through closing of a deal, while maintaining a high percentage of existing clients and their business.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and proficiency in presentation software programs
- Outstanding negotiation and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent client management skills with strong business acumen and professional demeanor that enables this person to interact with the highest levels both inside and outside the Firm.
- Clear approach to problem solving and good decision-making
- Possess an eye for good graphic design.
- Willing to travel as required