Quotes from Women I Admire by Donna Gaines – Part Two
Spring is almost, finally, hopeful here! And so we enjoy the sunshine that’s both outside and inspiring us in the office, by bringing you the second part of the women who motivate and inspire our founder, Donna Gaines with her commentary and insight following each quote!
1. If horses were wishes, beggars would ride. – Willa Mae Alverson This is my deceased Grand-Mother. She would also say this to me when I wished for something. It is a great English proverb from the 1700’s that I heard frequently growing up. My Grand-Mother was a very strong and wise woman who I learned a lot about life from.
2. Don’t live in the past lane. – Samantha Ettus. Samantha Ettus is a bestselling American author, speaker, TV contributor and syndicated radio host, widely known as a work life balance expert and successful businesswoman. This is such a true statement, don’t live in the past but embrace the future.
3. You can’t get blood from a turnip! – Mary Jean Larson. This is my a quote from my deceased Mother in her true southern charm. She would say this frequently to me and my siblings growing up and it’s a quote that I use all the time which state you can’t get something from nothing.
4. Life is a banquet and most suckers are starving to death. – Auntie Mame. This quote is one that I heard when I was young girl growing up and it always has resonated with me. It shares that life is so full of wonderful opportunities and most people are starving and not going for it.
5. “I have not lived as a woman. I have lived as a man. I’ve just done what I damn well wanted to, and I’ve made enough money to support myself, and ain’t afraid of being alone.”- Katharine Hepburn. Katharine Hepburn is truly one of my mentors and this says it all. These are values that I also live by.