Background: I fundamentally believe that for a healthy society, it is imperative to give back to our local neighborhoods and communities. If each one of us used our time, skills and talents to benefit the spaces that we live in, the world would be a much better place. So several months ago when I was encouraged to run for a local college board trustee position to represent a growing diverse populous in the college and the community, I felt that it was my duty and responsibility to do so. IRead more
It’s lonely at the top and one of the smartest moves any business owner, principal or entrepreneur can make is to engage a Business Advisory Board (“BAB”). The success or accountability of your firm rests on the shoulders of the owner(s). Structuring your BAB, which is less formal than a Board of Directors, with the right mix of members can be paramount to a strong ROI. Here are some steps to think about:
Your Company’s Values, Mission, Vision and Purpose: Make sure that your company’s Values, Mission, Vision and Purpose StatementsRead more
As leaders in our industry, we have an unparalleled opportunity to help our clients improve the impact of employee acquisition and retention. Stay Interviews provides leaders with data on the most optimum retention goals based on the individual employee’s needs. As leaders, we are held accountable for revenues, business metrics, and profits; but with the unemployment rate at an all-time low, why not include employee retention as part of our score cards? A main tool to accomplish this is through implementing “Stay Interviews”.
Definition of Stay Interviews: A stay Interview isRead more
Does your company’s transition plan account for the unexpected? Do you have a plan? According to the Exit Planning Institute, 66% of business owners set to retire in the next five years are not familiar with all exit options, 78% have no formal transition team, 83% no written transition plan, and 49% no plan at all. Perhaps the most startling—50 percent of exits are not voluntary.
So what’s your plan—for you, your partners, your company, and family—should the unexpected happen?
Common Reasons for Not Developing a Contingency Plan
You DO NOT know whereRead more
Written by: Lou Barreiro, Content Marketing and Public Relations Manager at Microdesk
The architecture, engineering and construction (AEC) industry is one of the most dynamic industries to be in as it offers a variety of different career opportunities. Understanding all your options, much less how to land a job in a new area, can be a daunting task to say the least. The trick is to develop a strategy for continually honing your skills, staying on top of the latest trends, and building relationships with people who can help connect youRead more
Spring is almost, finally, hopeful here! And so we enjoy the sunshine that’s both outside and inspiring us in the office, by bringing you the second part of the women who motivate and inspire our founder, Donna Gaines with her commentary and insight following each quote!
1. If horses were wishes, beggars would ride. – Willa Mae Alverson This is my deceased Grand-Mother. She would also say this to me when I wished for something. It is a great English proverb from the 1700’s that I heard frequently growing up. My Grand-Mother was a very strongRead more
We hope your week has gotten off to a lovely start! And if you’ve already been down in the weeds of life, even more reason to take a few minutes, collect your thoughts and center yourself on the important things. With this in mind, we present a new short series of inspirational quotes that have motivated and energized Donna Gaines over the years.
1. I love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it is the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It’s probably the mostRead more
Hello and welcome to another week of inspiration from architectural thought leaders! Today we present the third and final installment of Donna Gaines‘s favorite quotes, with commentary, focused on the Building and Design industry! Next week keep an eye out for a new theme of favorite quotes. As for now, here are the final four:
1. “Logic will get you from A to B, imagination will take you everywhere. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution”: Albert Einstein. Einstein’s reputation gained him aRead more
Happy Monday! Welcome to another week. Without further delay, here is the second set of Donna Gaines‘s favorite quotes, with commentary:
1. “I try firstly to make buildings humane. The greatest satisfaction, I think, is when a building opens and the public possesses it and you cut the umbilical cord. You see it taking it’s own life. There is no greater satisfaction”: Moshe Safdie designs building around the globe that touch many diverse cultures that give back to society.
2. “My passion and great enjoyment for architecture and the reason the older I get,Read more
Good Morning! Are you looking for a few pieces of architectural gold to get your week started? If so, we have a few insights for you! Donna may no longer be in the office every day, but she is still a part of our Gaines International world. As such, we have some of her favorite quotes listed below. And keep an eye out on the following Mondays of this month, as we may just have more on the way! Without further delay, here are her first 5 favorite quotes, with commentary, fromRead more